--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
This three-storey yellow building with the entrance and the balcony in the middle is the home of Trezzini.
In 1721,Tsar Peter I signed the edict on construction of the mansion for architect Trezzini at the cost of treasury. Trezzini developed the project of his future home – a two storey building having a high semi-basement and mezzanine. He commissioned Mikhail Zemtsov, his apprentice, to supervise the fulfillment of the construction works. It took more than 10 years to complete the construction, because of the all-time deficiency of either money, or building materials, or workers. Trezzini and his large family could move there in the afternoon of his life
Trezzini’s mansion was reconstructed several times during the 19th and 20th centuries when the face décor changed and the third floor added. Several years ago there was an investor who paid 9 million ruble to the city treasury for the right to reconstruct the mansion in a boutique hotel. It is not an easy task as Trezzinin’s Mansion has the historical monument status. So renovators should do their best to combine the five-star comfort with building’s original interior: the three-flight stair, stucco molding, plafonds, and all-fresco wood-imitating finishing.
Vasilievsky Island is a historical district in St. Petersburg, located in the delta of the Neva River. It is bordered by the Bolshaya Neva and Malaya Neva Rivers in the south and northeast, and by the Gulf of Finland in the west. Two of the most famous St. Petersburg bridges, Palace Bridge and Blagoveshchensky Bridge, connect it with the mainland to the south. Exchange Bridge and Tuchkov Bridge across the Malaya Neva connect it with Petrogradsky Island.
In 1715-25 Peter the Great planned this island to become a city center but those plans were not destined to be fulfilled. There are lots of legends connected with Vasilievsky Island and its buildings. For example, the name of the island Vasilievsky people usually associate with a certain man called Vassily or Basil. The legend says that was the name of one Peter’s foremost gunner officers and military engineers, Vassily Korchmin, who had his artillery battery to ward off the Swedish navy at the spit of the island and got the tsar's letters addressed "To Vassily in the Island".
During the tour you will hear some legends of the island and see all its landmarks. It is better to start the tour from the easternmost tip of the island, called Strelka (or the Spit, literally Arrow) which features a number of museums, including the Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange as well as two Rostral columns. The Spit is a place popular for wedding processions and tourists. Nice postcard views on the city are open from here.
The edifices lining the Universitetskaya Embankment along the Bolshaya Neva include the Kunstkamera, The Palace of Peter II, the Twelve Colleges Building, the Menshikov Palace, the Imperial Academy of Sciences, and St. Andrew's Cathedral – all dating from the 18th century.
Museums, State University and the Imperial Academy of Sciences with library tell us the island has been for the recent centuries home to academic life. There is even the House of Academicians.
The island is a very romantic place with many cafes and restaurants, and panoramic views from the embankments. Just download the application “Your Audio Guide” (free) and the excursion. And walk as much as you want. Enjoy the unforgettable views of the northern capital.