--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
The Admiral Krusenstern’s monument given to the four winds stands in Lieutenant Schmidt embankment of the Neva River.
Sculptor Ivan Schreder portrayed the admiral standing with his arms folded across his chest, in the parade uniform and with the dirk. The rose granite pedestal bears Krusenstern’s coat of arms supported by a black and a Malayan. The face of the bronze monument is turned to Vasilievsky Island to the Naval Corps, from which Admiral Kruzenstern graduated and which he managed afterwards. In acknowledgment of that the Naval Corps students put sailor’s stripped vest on the monument each year at the night before the graduation ceremony.
Ivan Krusenstern was the first Russian circumnavigator. On June 26, 1803, two sailing sloops “Nadezhda” and “Neva” commanded by Krusenstern left Kronstadt. The navigation lasted for three years and twelve days. The sloops rounded the Cape Horn, crossed the Pacific Ocean, visited the Marquises Islands, the Hawaii, Japan, Kamchatka, and reached Alaska.
When sailing back to Russia, the navigators discovered several islands of the Kuriles and fixed the position of the southern part of Sakhalin on the chart. Then they rounded the cape of Good Hope and moored to the native shore. Krusenstern sketched more than one hundred charts during the overseas expedition.
Look, the bronze sculpture holds a rolled sailing chart. It seems that Admiral Krusenstern is on the command bridge of its ship. But he stands on a special ship, namely, on Vasilievsky Island.
Vasilievsky Island is a historical district in St. Petersburg, located in the delta of the Neva River. It is bordered by the Bolshaya Neva and Malaya Neva Rivers in the south and northeast, and by the Gulf of Finland in the west. Two of the most famous St. Petersburg bridges, Palace Bridge and Blagoveshchensky Bridge, connect it with the mainland to the south. Exchange Bridge and Tuchkov Bridge across the Malaya Neva connect it with Petrogradsky Island.
In 1715-25 Peter the Great planned this island to become a city center but those plans were not destined to be fulfilled. There are lots of legends connected with Vasilievsky Island and its buildings. For example, the name of the island Vasilievsky people usually associate with a certain man called Vassily or Basil. The legend says that was the name of one Peter’s foremost gunner officers and military engineers, Vassily Korchmin, who had his artillery battery to ward off the Swedish navy at the spit of the island and got the tsar's letters addressed "To Vassily in the Island".
During the tour you will hear some legends of the island and see all its landmarks. It is better to start the tour from the easternmost tip of the island, called Strelka (or the Spit, literally Arrow) which features a number of museums, including the Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange as well as two Rostral columns. The Spit is a place popular for wedding processions and tourists. Nice postcard views on the city are open from here.
The edifices lining the Universitetskaya Embankment along the Bolshaya Neva include the Kunstkamera, The Palace of Peter II, the Twelve Colleges Building, the Menshikov Palace, the Imperial Academy of Sciences, and St. Andrew's Cathedral – all dating from the 18th century.
Museums, State University and the Imperial Academy of Sciences with library tell us the island has been for the recent centuries home to academic life. There is even the House of Academicians.
The island is a very romantic place with many cafes and restaurants, and panoramic views from the embankments. Just download the application “Your Audio Guide” (free) and the excursion. And walk as much as you want. Enjoy the unforgettable views of the northern capital.