--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
There's a small two-storey building at No 11 Volkhonka. It's a wing of the former mansion which the merchant Zimulin once owned here.
The wing of Zimulin's former mansion was home to the famous painter Tropinin for several years in the early C19th. He leased four rooms and a kitchen on the upper floor, and you could only reach his front door by climbing some steps from the courtyard – the ground floor was entirely taken by commercial premises. In the early years of the C21st there were plans to turn the building into a Tropinin House-Museum, but it turned out that the post-soviet owners refused to sell, and had let the premises out. There's not even a memorial tablet mentioning Tropinin's time there, despite the nameplates for the Bericoni Restaurant. So instead the memorial tablet has been put up on the next-door building!
Tropinin leased his apartments here in Zimulin's mansion for seven years. It was here at the artist's studio, in winter 1826, that the famous Russian poet came to sit for a portrait. This painting was subsequently mislaid, and only turned up – for sale – many years later in the antique shop which was, coincidentally, directly across the road.
Vassily Tropinin's portrait of Pushkin is considered to be one of his most important works. Contemporaries hailed it as being the most striking likeness of the poet – even though Pushkin had been an awkward model, and kept fidgeting during his sitting.
“Pushkin commissioned the portrait himself, on the quiet” wrote the poet's close friend Sergey Sobolevsky - “and brought it to me as a surprise, as part of the secret”. The story that followed resembles a detective story. Sobolevsky left the portrait with literary critic Ivan Kireyevsky when he went abroad for five years. Kireyevsky left it with Moscow University Professor Sergey Shevyrov. Yet when Sobolevsky returned, no-one could find the original, and Professor Shevyrov turned out to have only a copy. Even stranger, it emerged that Kireyevsky himself had handed the portrait over to a copyist who lived in Shevyrov's house? It will probably never be ascertained what happened, or how the real portrait turned up for sale later.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.