--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
The bulky building with two tall chimneys was built as an early electrical power-station to power the Tramway network. It occupies an entire block between the House On The Embankment and the Patriarch's Bridge pedestrian walkway. Some people occasionally call it The Moscow Tower. You can see the Substation from the Patriarch's Bridge, the Great Stone Bridge, and from the Water Overflow Canal.
In 1899, shortly after the first trams appeared in Moscow, it was decided to build a government-owned electrical power-station for the tramways, instead of relying on power provided by a private company called “The 1886 Electric Light Corporation”. The location was carefully chosen – on the embankments of the Moscow Water Overflow Canal, so that there was an unlimited supply of water on hand for the boilers of the new power-station. Another benefit of the location was that Theatre Square – the main intersection of the tramlines at that time – was fairly nearby, and the cabling costs of running powerlines there would be fairly low. The power-station was designed by the architect Bashkirov and the engineer Vladimir Shukhov, and quickly built in just three years.
A festive ceremony marked the inauguration of the newly-completed power-station when it was opened by the city fathers in February 1907. The huge power-station comprised eight different steam-operated boilers and two turbogenerators in the Machine Hall. In its time, nearly one-third of Moscow's electricity capacity was supplied by the power-station.
For a power-station, the architecture is exceptionally creative. Early in the C20th four 64-metre brick chimneys crowned the building. The most attractive ornamental feature was a beautiful Clock Tower, closely modelled on the Spassky Tower of the Kremlin – but sadly it has not survived. During subsequent renovations the brick chimneys were replaced by lighter metal structures. The power-station is still in operation, and has the network name of GES-2-Tramway.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.