--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
There's a three-storeyed pink-coloured mansion at the corner of Volkhonka and Lenivka, bearing a memorial plaque – that it was formerly the home of nobleman Vassily Naryshkin. The ground floor of the house now houses a Museum of Chocolate.
In the mid-C18th the mansion which previously stood at this address, No.9 Volkhonka, was owned by Major-General Vassily Naryshkin – a distinguished noble family in Russia's aristocracy. But after his death the estate had to be split-up among his relatives since his niece got married. Thus the main building of the estate came into the hands of the author Alexander Griboyedov, who had married Naryshkin's niece. However, the old mansion was demolished, and a newer one – which we see here today – built on the site of the old one.
The present mansion at No.9 Volkhonka was built by a general named Voeikov. Under the eaves of the house you can see two coats of arms – at the corner, and in the centre of the facade. The coat of arms with the crowned knight's helmet signifies a noble family, but without title. It's one of just 30 coats of arms to be found today on the exteriors of Moscow buildings. By the way, some of these other coats of arms are to be found here on Volkhonka.
There's a large memorial plaque with a portrait on the walls of No.9 Volkhonka. It mentions that the portraitist Tropinin lived in the building. In fact this isn't true – he lived in the house next door, but the owners there won't allow it to be put up at the right address.
In the 1880s the building at No.9 Volkhonka was home to numerous different artists, and many others who came to stay for short periods. Another resident for a short while was Count Sergei Trubetskoi, one of the leaders of the failed Decembrist Uprising of 1825 – he was exiled to Siberia for long years as punishment, but stayed here at this house after his sentence expired. If the Uprising had succeeded, he would have headed the Russian government of the new regime.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.