--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
There's an attractive Art-Nouveau building located on a narrow strip of land formed from the promontory of the confluence of the Moskva River and the Water Overflow Canal – directly behind the red-brick buildings of the former “Red October” Chocolate Factory. It's the former Yacht Club On The River Spit. For several years the abandoned building has been blocked off by builder's fencing, and you can't get near it – just as there is no 'official' footpath to get to the giant statue of Peter the Great from promontory either. The whole area around here is supposed to become top-end housing – but there's no sign of it yet.
The Imperial River Yachting Club first appeared in 1867, with the club's Constitution noting that the Emperor himself was Chairman. The Constitution also noted that the club's aims were 'to promote every kind of sporting exercise that develops physical strength, such as swimming, marine gymnastics, ice-skating, target-shooting, fencing, and similar activities'. However, not all of the members were so enthusiastic about the gymnastics and swimming. The club boasted a splendid restaurant, and many people joined simply to be able to dine against the marvelous panorama of the riverbanks. Even so, the club even organised a special regatta event for women – with victory going to 'the most elegant and well-prepared team'.
Among the club's most enthusiastic members were the Shustov Brothers, producers of the celebrated Shustov Brandy. One of the brothers became a record-holding oarsman. At the beginning of the C20th the Shustovs were voted as the Commodores of the Yacht-Club, and set up the Shustov Trophy Cup. At the time the Club consisted of 124 active members, and there were around 40 rowing and sailing craft. In the soviet era the club was renamed as the Strelka Rowing Centre, after its location on the “Strelka” or River Spit. After 1945 the centre became a children's rowing club, and thereafter closed down entirely.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.