--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
Almost opposite the Pushkin Museum, and slightly to the left, is the dazzling turquoise white stucco building of the Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery. The facade is decorated with a mosaic emblem of St.George.
You can barely miss the building of the Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery – its lurid colour marks it out. A sign at the top of the semicircular part of the building proudly declaims “The National Gallery of Artist Ilya Glazunov”. Originally the building had been the mansion of noblewoman Natalia Naryshkina, but she'd barely recognise it now. In fact the gallery has been housed here only since the first years of the C21st – during the soviet era it had housed the Palace of Science & Technology. Here were held public lectures and interviews with prominent Russian scientists and cultural figures. The well-known priest Alexander Menn read a lecture here in 1990 entitled “Christianity”. On the following day, Menn was assassinated.
The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery was opened in 2004. It displays more than 700 works which have been donated to the State by the artist himself. Paintings on historical themes by Ilya Glazunov were all the rage during the perestroika era. Many reexamine moments in history as seen through the artist's eyes. In 2009 Russian Premier Vladimir Putin visited the Gallery, and offered his expert advice about some of the works on view. One of the works which caught the President's attention was “Prince Oleg and Igor”. “That sword's too short. Looks like some kind of flick-knife” observed the Premier. The artist harkened to his President's words, and promised to put things right. After all, scratching the backs of the powerful comes in handy now and then! Changing Prince Oleg's kiddy toy for some serious weaponry is a doddle for a proper artist. Now the President can take pride in this national hero in front of honoured foreign visitors - and Prince Oleg probably feels a lot better with a serious bit of kit in his hand too.
The Glazunov Gallery – in addition to its plethora of paintings on historic themes – also contains portraiture, illustrations to works of Russian classical literature, and even theatrical designs for operas.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.