--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
On the even-numbered side of Kolymazhny Lane there's a yellow mansion building with white pilaster columns, decorated with white moldings and a balcony. The house dates back to the 1820s. At first it belonged to the widow of a government official named Pavel Glebov, and latterly to a businessman called Aphanazy Buryshkin.
One of the most notable buildings in Kolymazhny Lane is this house of the Glebov and Buryshkin families, built in the so-called “Moscow Empire” style. The mansion was first built in the 1820s for the widow of a senior government official named Pavel Glebov. The elegant proportions of the building combine orderly construction with the exquisite stucco decoration. The window-frames and balcony railings add an especial charm to the building's appearance.
The House of the Glebov and Buryshkin families contains a beautifully preserved grand staircase. Some people believe that this very staircase is described in the pages of Griboyedov's wry comedy “Woe From Wit”. Observers testify that when the famous stage-director Stanislavsky visited the house and saw the staircase for himself, his lips let free his famous cry of “Yes, I believe it!”, and he had the staircase meticulously copied in the scenery of his production of the play. In the latter end of the C19th the house was bought by Moscow merchant and businessman Aphanazy Buryshkin. Various organisations were based in the building after it was nationalised in the Russian Revolution, and then a Children's Library opened in 1924. Presently the building is used to house the graphic arts and drawings collections of the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts.
After the death of the merchant Aphanazy Buryshkin, his son Pavel took control of the family business and proceeded to further his father's ideas for the city's good. Aphanazy Buryshkin had long dreamt of founding a City Museum. His son Pavel became a successful businessman and collector. He collected documents about Russia's history, and information about the architecture of Russia after Peter the Great's time – sculptural details, sketches, building plans. He also commissioned architectural models.
In 1914 Pavel Buryshkin presented a report to the City government on the idea of founding a Museum of Old Moscow. He put in his own capital and pledged his home for the project, but still the proposal failed to gain approval. However, during the Soviet era this collection of Buryshkin's was nationalised and put on display in 1919 at the building of the former English Club on Tverskaya Street. In the very same year, Pavel Buryshkin became Shadow Finance Minister in the cabinet of anti-communist leader Admiral Kolchak. He was forced into emigrating, and ultimately died in Paris in 1955. Muscovites know Pavel Buryshkin as the author of the book “Moscow In The Merchant Era”, which was published in New York in the mid-C20th.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.