--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
There is one solitary church on Kolymazhny Lane – it's the Church of the Holy Martyr Antipy At The Stableyards.
The Church of the Holy Martyr St Antipy is the oldest building in this area – an area which was once known as “Little Devil” in older times (after the Little Devil River which flowed here). The church was built in the early C16th, and its proximity to the Royal Stableyards gave it the rest of its name. It was sometimes also called St Antipy's At The Horse-Yards. It's thought that the church was built with funds from the Treasury to serve the Royal Stables and its staff. It's known that some part of the financing of the church came from Maliuta Skuratov, the notorious henchman of Tsar Ivan the Terrible. In fact Maliuta was a nickname – his real name had been Grigory. The nickname “Maliuta” comes from the Russian word maly, or little – apparently because of his diminutive stature. His nickname went into the Russian language as a byword for sadistic viciousness. Skuratov's own mansion backed onto the churchyard of this church.
The influences of many subsequent epochs can be seen in the architecture of the Church of the Holy Martyr Antipy At The Stableyards. A chapel of St John The Baptist, with refectory and belfry were built onto the original church building in the C18th. Some fragments of the original interior decoration of this chapel and refectory remain, illustrated with floral patterns. The arches and niches of the John the Baptist Chapel have remains of C19th murals. In the soviet era the church was converted into public housing, but subsequently its premises were made over to the use of the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum. The church has now been restored to Divine Worship.
It's said that worshippers came specially to the Church of the Holy Martyr St Antipy At The Stableyards seeking the martyr's intervention – in cases of toothache. The Holy Martyr St Antipy was in fact credited with being able to relieve all ills – but most especially teeth. Even ikons showing the Martyr's image were decorated with the cyrillic letters designating”Dental Healer”.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.