--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
The Northern Facade of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour looks towards Volkhonka Street, and the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum. To take in the decorative elements its best to step away a little from the walls and see the overall outlay of the decoration.
The modern cathedral building we see today is a replica of the one blown up by Stalin. The groundplan is an equilateral cross of about 85 metres. Each facade of the cathedral has the same dimensions and appearance, but they are differently decorated – with modern high-relief sculpture replicating the former. The Northern Facade displays tableaux of the enlightened faith of Christ in Russia, and its defenders and Russian soldiers in battle. At the top we see round medallions in high-relief. In the middle we see a large arch depicted, and the image of the Most Holy Iverian Virgin. The image is copied from the Chapel of the Resurrection at the Resurrection Gates of Red Square.
High at the top of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour we see the images of saints, arranged in arches on either side of the high-reliefwork sculpture of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Each Saint symbolises a major military campaign.
The image of St.Laurence the Martyr (to the far left) marks the victory of the Battle of Kulm in August 1813; next to Laurence we see the image of The Holy Martyr St.Sergius, to whom is dedicated the capture of Leipzig in 1813; next we see St.Gregory, marking the advance on Paris in March 1814; and finally we see St.Chrysanth the Martyr, to whose memory the Capture of Paris on 19th March 1814 is dedicated.
In the lower row of sculptures, by the arch of the great gates of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, we find a sculptural tableau called “The Apostles Peter & Paul and the Four Evangelists”. By the arch and to the left of the great portal there is a further tableau called “The Holy Apostular Grand-Prince Vladimir and the Holy God-Revering Grand-Princess Olga”. To the right of the arch we see yet another “The Holy Apostular Tsar Constantin and his mother, the Tsaritsa Elena”.
In the corners of the north flank of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour we see historical scenes depicted.
In the left corner of the Northern Facade there is a historical tableau - “Saint Dionysus blesses Grand-Prince Pozharsky and Citizen Minin for the liberation of Moscow from the Poles”. This sculpture was executed by the well-known sculptor Rukavishnikov.
In the left window-arches we see depicted St.Savva of Zvenigorod (to the left) and The Holy Prince St.Daniel of Moscow.
The right-hand side of the Northern Facade depicts scenes from the Lives of The Saints. In the right-hand corner a tableau shows “St.Sergius the Righteous blessing Grand Prince Dmitry of the Don before his battle with the Tatars”. The original of this sculpture is preserved in the Donskoy Monastery. In the window arches to the left we see first The Most Holy Martyr St.George (to the left), and then – to the right – the St.Andrew the Apostle.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.