--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
The small yellow building on the corner of Volkhonka and Bolshoi Znamensky Lane is the former mansion of the Dolgoruky family of Grand-Princes. At one time this building housed the first boy's grammar-school in Moscow.
This building on the corner of Volkhonka is a greatly-remodeled mansion formerly belonging to the Dolgoruky family of Grand-Princes in the C18th. For a short while parts of the estate were incorporated into a grand wooden-built palace erected for the stay of Catherine the Great in the capital – when she came to sign a Peace Treaty with Turkey. This wooden palace complex also spread onto the grounds of the adjoining Lopukhin and Golovin estates.
The Empress Catherine II later bought the Dolgoruky Palace, and presented it to Field-Marshal Rumyantsev of Trans-Danubia as a parting gift when she left the city. The Field-Marshal had been a hero of exactly the Turkish Wars of 1775 which the Peace Treaty ended. The Field-Marshal lived here for 18 years – after which the house passed through many hands, was serially rebuilt, and then severely damaged in the post-Napoleonic fires of 1812. After its restoration it became the first Grammar-School for Boys in Moscow. The Grammar School remained located here until the Russian Revolution in 1917. Its graduates include many famous Russian writers, academics and public figures.
The 1st Grammar School For Boys was long considered one of the best educational institutions in Moscow. The school prepared its pupils to enter Moscow University, and for careers in the Civil Service. The course of studies originally lasted four years. Boys studied Latin and other languages, history, philosophy, art history, grammar, and even political economy. The course was subsequently lengthened to run for 8 years, at which time Religious Law, logic, literature and law were added to the curriculum. Study at the Grammar School was expensive for parents, and the boys were held to a severe code of conduct. The fashionable areas of Kuznetsky Most and Tverskoy Boulevard were placed out of bounds for the scholars, nor were they permitted to enter restaurants or cafes.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.