--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
The columned house on the even-numbered side of Volkhonka is typical of Moscow in the early C19th, and painted yellow-and-white. It was once owned by Grand-Princess Olga Shuvalova. Today it houses the Museum of Private Collections. Entrance to the Museum is from Kolymazhny Lane.
The house at No.10 Volkhonka was owned by Grand-Princess Olga Shuvalova at the turn of the C19th, and it takes its name from her. Sometimes it's also called Volkov's Antique Shop, a name it acquired later, but let's run through things in order. Before Shuvalova, the site housed a Church of St.John The Baptist – but it was extremely dilapidated and was taken down. A house was built on the site, which was owned by Grand-Princess Shuvalova. However, the house was consumed by fire in the tumult following Napoleon's retreat from Moscow in 1812. The rebuilt house on the spot was owned by Countess Vzaemskaya, daughter of the same count Peter Vzaemsky who was a friend of Pushkin.
Shuvalova's House was home to the Society Of Arts & Literature in the latter C19th, which had been organised by the actor-director Constantin Stanislavsky and his associates. For a short while after the Revolution the house was used for meetings of the so-called Praesidium of the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia, as well as partly being converted to apartments. After the end of the Communist era, the building was made over the Pushkin Fine Arts Museum, of which it is now an Annexe Wing, housing the Museum of Private Collections.
From the mid-C19th until the 1917 Russian revolution the building known as Shuvalova's house was owned by the Volkovs – a very substantial banking family. Grandad Volkov had begun as a serf, but he earned his freedom from count Yusupov, and came to Moscow on foot. Legend claims that he crossed the Moskva River, then laid his head down to rest on the porch of this house. Later, after he made it rich, he came back to buy the house which had such happy memories of his arrival in Moscow. Here in the house Gavril Volkov opened an antique shop, and then a trading stores called “Volkov & Sons”. This is how the house's second nickname arose, as Volkov's Antique Shop.
It was here on the premises of Volkov's Antique Shop that Tropinin's famous portrait of the poet Pushkin was sold – it had been missing for some while in unusual circumstances prior to the sale. An unknown man brought it to the shop, and it was duly sold. In 1909 it was acquired for the Tretyakov Gallery, where it still hangs.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.