--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
You can see the sign of bar called “Hands Up!” (“Ruki Vverkh”) outside the bright-coloured three-storey building on the odd-numbered side of Lenivka. These were formerly the premises of a merchant named Zimulin. The building is remembered as having been the studios of the famous Russian artist Vassily Tropinin.
The whole odd-numbered side of Lenivka Street, including this building at No.3, had been the property of Vassily Naryshkin in the C18th – a military commander who'd gone into politics. By the C19th the freehold here had been purchased by a businessman called Zimulin, who put up a rental apartment building on the site. In the 1830s one of the tenants was the famous Muscovite artist Vassily Tropinin, who lived here for 20 years. One of the second-floor windows is larger than the others – locals believe this was Tropinin's quarters, where he painted his famous self-portrait in 1844, with a window view looking out towards the Kremlin. Today it's not possible to tell, because the huge building built by Lobachev now completely blocks the view of the Kremlin from here. The painting itself shows only the windowsill, which gives the impression of a very large window.
Many of Tropinin's clients sat for their portraits against the window of his apartment here. The window frame acts as a field of focus in many of the artist's most well-known works. However, they are all different – because the view from the window often changes in different paintings. In some pictures there is a winter scene with views including Pashkov's House – in summer pictures we see the Holy Trinity Tower of the Kremlin. Tropinin's visitors here at No.3 Lenivka included nearly all of the famous painters in Russia at the time, including “The Great Karl” - the well-known artist Karl Briullov.
The sculptor Ramazanov – whose work adorns the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour – mentioned in his memoirs that he was a frequent guest of Tropinin's, and “Tropinin's canvases, hanging unframed on the walls, were the only element of decoration in his bare apartments - which were otherwise empty, quiet, and completely dedicated to his work”.
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cathedral on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.
The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 during the Communist rule of Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets that was never built, so the church was reconstructed in the 1990s on the same site.
The Cathedral is located on Volkhonka Street, which starts from Borovitskaya Square. The name of the street appeared at the end of the XVIII century when on the lands of the Volkonskis, a famous noble family was a popular tavern "Volkhonka". The street is one of the most ancient in Moscow. It was famous as a district for the rich.
This district is going to become Moscow Museum District. During the tour you will see and have the opportunity to visit a number of art museums: The Tsvetkovsky Gallery, The Ilya Glazunov Art Gallery, The Lopukhin Family Mansion (aka the Roerich Museum), Gallery of European and American Art of the C19th and C20th, The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, The Museum of Private Collections. While walking here you will understand why Moscow used to be accepted as a beautiful jewelry box. In the lanes you will discover old mansions and fall in love with stories of Russian noble families. Such are The Golitsyn Mansion, The Lopukhin Family Mansion, Obolonsky's Mansion, Sergey Tretyakov's Mansion etc. The Chambers of Averky Kirillov - a unique example of a large urban homestead. Chambers, Church of St. Nicholas and outbuildings along the waterfront are a single architectural complex.
Another bright example of Moscow architecture is Pertsova's Rental Apartment Mansions. The house was an apartment house, located on the corner of Soymonovsky passage and Prechistenskaya embankment, built in 1905-1907 by architects N. Zhukov and B.N. Shnaubert on sketches of the artist S.V. Malyutin, author of Russian nesting dolls. The house includes apartments and artists' studios in the upper attic of the building.