--:-- • --:--Пример экскурсии
The long curved building opposite the Church of St.Cosma and St.Damian – is the Nosovskoe Courtyard. To the right of it are the trading premises of Arshinov, with bold arched windows at the centre.
The Nosovskoe Courtyard was built in the mid-C19th and named after its owner. At the time the building comprised an entire Merchant's Yard. In the 1880s the site was developed, adding extra buildings in the interior courtyard, primarily for cellarage storage. These cellars are still in use today, for the cool storage of food and medical products. Within the inner courtyard you can see a narrow C19th building decorated with a very attractive wrought-iron balcony.
During the perestroika period of the soviet meltdown the Nosovskoe Courtyard was home to the Moscow Rock Laboratory – a loose confederation of rock groups, mainly playing punk-rock. This club amazingly appeared during the soviet era, as a Moscow answer to the similar Leningrad Rock Club in Leningrad (now St.Petersburg). The Rock Laboratory gave rock musicians the chance to play legal concerts and earn money. The musical in-crowd began calling Staropansky lane “Staro-punk-sky”.
Kitay-gorod is one of the oldest parts of Moscow. It appeared nearby the old wooden Kremlin. Although the name translates as “Chinatown,” it probably derives from kita (wattle), referring to the wall that surrounded this early Kremlin suburb. Today, remains of an old city wall and colorful churches are scattered throughout this ancient neighborhood.
The stone walls were erected in the 16th century by an Italian architect known under the name Petrok Maly and originally featured 13 towers and six gates. They were as thick as they were high. The last of the towers were demolished in the 1930s, but small portions of the wall still stand. One of two remaining parts of the wall is located in Zaryadye and the other near the exit from the Okhotny Ryad station of Moscow Metro behind the Hotel Metropol.
Kitay-gorod starts at Red Square. Apart from Red Square, the quarter is bordered by the chain of Central Squares of Moscow, notably Theatre Square (in front of Bolshoi Theatre), Lubyanka Square (in front of the KGB headquarters), and Slavyanskaya Square.
Since time immemorial Kitay-gorod has been developing as a trading area. And for centuries it was known as the most prestigious business area of Moscow. Its three main streets — Varvarka, Ilyinka, and Nikolskaya — are lined with banks, shops, and storehouses. There are also lots of historical buildings that relate to the heritage of the federal and global importance now.
In our tour you will walk along Nikolskaya Street that is famous for being the site of Moscow's first university, the Slavic Greek Latin Academy, housed in extant Zaikonospassky monastery (1660s). Another monastery cathedral, the main church of Epiphany Bogoyavlensky Monastery (1690s), is the oldest male monastery in Moscow, stands in the middle of Kitay-gorod in the eponymous Bogoyavlensky Lane. The 18th century survives in the exterior walls of the otherwise rebuilt Gostiny Dvor (Guest Merchant's Court) by Giacomo Quarenghi.
A whole quarter of Kitay-gorod adjacent to the Moskva River and known as Zaryadye (now just Varvarka Street) was demolished in the 20th century, sparing only those structures that were classified as historic monuments. These include the Cathedral of the Sign (1679–84), the Church of All Saints (1680s), St. George's Church on Pskov Hill (1657), St. Maksim's Church (1698), St. Anna's Church at the Corner (1510s), St. Barbara's Church (1796–1804), the Old English Embassy (1550s), and the 16th century Romanov boyar residence. The two last are the museums. You can visit them to see the life of the first Romanovs in the 16-17th centuries.